Apartment living has me struggling. I love my apartment and my roommates, but the closet I live with is so small! It’s a sliding door with one rack and one shelf…tough life for a fashionista. It took a whole month and a lot of brainstorming to figure out just how to fit all my clothes and shoes in there. My space is very limited, but I made it work. Here’s some tips and tricks on how to make the most of space in a small room…
For a closet
- I bought an extra hanging bar that hooks on to the main rack and gives you an extra row of of hanging clothes. It only takes up about 2/3 of the length of the top rack so it’s perfect to leave space for long clothes like pants or dresses.
- Target or the container store has some great top shelf storage. I bought a 2 shelf shoe rack from target that I put on the top rack of my shelf and added a big box on top of that so I can utilize the tall closet space.
- I had a hanger to hold all my belts and purses on the very side of my closet, but now with sweater season I needed to maximize that rack space. I put small command hooks on the side wall of my closet and have staggered my belts on the wall.
- Thin cloth hangers are a must! I have transferred all of my hanging clothes to these kinds of hangers because they take up the least amount of space and they hold clothes way better than plastic.
- The container store has great stackable’s for jewelry. I have a three tier tower and the first one is meant specifically for stud earrings. The next one I use for bracelets or chunkier earrings. The third tier is used for some more of my everyday earrings and some rings I don’t wear as often.
- I found a cheap, tin hook wall decor at Hobby lobby. I was looking for any sort of wall arrow and planned on putting nails in it, but I came across this which already bad hooks so it worked out. I hang all of my necklaces on it because I can layer more than one without them getting tangled.
- I have a tree stand that originally I had used for my bracelets, but as I get more bracelets I started to run out of room. I ended up taking my bracelets off and I put all my hoops on it and spread my rings out on the bottom of it.
- I got a new display holder for my bracelets that is black (but comes in different colors), and is three tiered to hold all of them.
- I don’t have enough space in my bedroom for a full length jewelry stand, but at home it is the best. I like it because it has a full length mirror on it and holds so much of my jewelry, but I added more command hooks on the inside door so that it fits more of my necklaces.
For the Bathroom
I have a slight obsession with trying new makeup or products. I have more stuff than I know what to do with, but it’s okay if you can make the space for it right? I have definitely learned how to utilize bathroom space.
- Acrylic Makeup Holders are a life saver. I started with a basic topper and one layer under, but as I keep buying new makeup I had to buy more layers. This is why I love it though because you can just keep building on it. I get all of mine at the Container Store, but you can get them on Amazon too.
- I like to see my everyday products that I use, cause sometimes when they’re stuffed in a drawer I cannot find anything! I recently got this 360 organizer and I love it because its customizable heights and where you want things to be. It also hold little things on the top so I put some of my everyday earrings or little things up there.
- Rolling Carts are a must. I got mine at Target and I got little baskets from the Dollar Store that fit perfectly into the cart. I like to put the baskets in as little dividers that hold everything I need by categories (I tend to get OCD about this stuff). Without the basket my stuff will topple over and gets messy. But literally these carts hold so much and are a great way to organize and make more space.
- Under my sink I keep my bath towels and some extra products. I use these two storage containers to stack all those extra products and some emergency kit stuff. My bottom one holds all the bandaids, cotton pads, and stuff like that. But I love them because they stack perfectly on each other and they are clear so I can still what is in each one.
- I really love command hooks okay…I use the baby ones for everything! I put them on my bathroom wall to hold all my fun scrunchies or hair ties because if not I shove them in a drawer where I either forget about them or they take up too much room and force me to cram things in the drawer. I also used them on a blank wall next to me desk to hold my big hats because it looks so cute and you can’t even see the hook. It also allows the hats to keep their shape and not get ruined. If you still have an empty wall in your room or closet then they are great for holding long purses too.