The majority of you have probably never heard of Culebra, but it is a small island right off the coast of Puerto Rico. You may have heard of Flamenco Beach though and that is located on this island. Culebra is home to some of the prettiest views I have ever seen. I really enjoy traveling here because it is very calm and not overwhelmed with tourists. After Hurricane Maria, the people who live here did an amazing job cleaning up the aftermath and restoring Culebra back to its original beauty.
Processed with VSCO with g3 preset
In order to get to Culebra you must take a boat or a tiny plane (I prefer a plane since I get seasick). Plus, a plane ride allows you to see the beauty of both islands from the air. Once you are there, everyone gets around on Golf Carts or jeeps, but the golf carts are much more fun to me. We always rent our golfcart from Jerry’s Jeep Rental. Since Culebra is so small is is super easy to navigate around the island. There are so many beaches on all sides of Culebra, but Flamenco Beach is foresure the most popular.
That said, my personal favorite beach is Zoni Beach because it is more hidden than the others and takes a little longer to get so.There are typically very few people at Zoni and I feel like it is my own private beach. If you want to snorkel and see some marine life, then Melones and Tamarindo Beach are great for that. They are a little rocky so definitely bring swim shoes and a snorkel.
My family and I love to take a boat out about 20 minutes to the island of Culebrita. The views there are absolutely breathtaking. On Culebrita you can take a 15-20 minute light hike up to the top and see an old lighthouse. There are some goats and deer on the island that we will usually see on our hikes. On one end of the island there are also tide pools that are so much fun to swim in. The water is a gorgeous blue with burnt orange rocks around it. You must know the walk to get to the tide pools is rough and rocky so make sure to wear shoes of some sort, but it is well worth it. Tons of boats will gather on Culebrita on most weekends. The boaters will play in the water, snorkel around, and grill out for the day, every-time we have done this we have a blast. There is also a dive shop on the island of Culebra that has taken my brother out numerous times for those who want a little more than snorkeling.
Food & Drink Recommendations
Let me just start by saying everything on the island is very casual, sundresses or jean shorts are the way to go. Also most all of the restaurants are outside so it usually wise to bring bug spray especially during Summer.
- El Eden: By far my favorite restaurant! The food is so unique and tasty. This is a place I highly recommend making reservations for because they are always busy. They have so many great things on the menu, but I would advise you to get the Zucchini pasta or Lobster Risotto, they are so good.
- Dinghy Docks: This is a great spot to grab a drink and appetizer right on the water. There are tons of Tarpin in the water right off the dock so that’s always fun to see. We like to stop here and snack on some taquitos after a day at the beach before we head back to get ready for dinner.
- Mamacitas: Another place on the water so it’s a fun place to go eat for a casual dinner. Their fish fingers are yummy! You can also stay right above in their guesthouse if you want to.
- Susies: Here they have a great outdoor ambiance and it is one of the nicer restaurants on the island. Their steak and lobster is always served to perfection. They are a seasonal restaurant so definitely check to see if they’re open for your trip.
- Vibra Verde: The absolute BEST place for breakfast or brunch! Every time we travel to Culebra I make sure to stop here. On this last trip I actually met the couple who owns this place and they were very down to earth. They have great açaí bowls, smoothies, eggs, and bagels.
Where To Stay
- Club Seaborne: Our family of 14 just stayed here and had a good time. We each had rooms right next to each other and it is small enough to all feel close, but still have personal space. They serve breakfast and have a bar so it worked out for everyone.
- Villas: Personally I enjoy renting a house or villa and staying there because there are many unique properties right on the water or hills with gorgeous views. However it is very hard to find a place that holds a lot of people so this is a better option for smaller groups.
Apartment living has me struggling. I love my apartment and my roommates, but the closet I live with is so small! It’s a sliding door with one rack and one shelf…tough life for a fashionista. It took a whole month and a lot of brainstorming to figure out just how to fit all my clothes and shoes in there. My space is very limited, but I made it work. Here’s some tips and tricks on how to make the most of space in a small room…
For a closet
- I bought an extra hanging bar that hooks on to the main rack and gives you an extra row of of hanging clothes. It only takes up about 2/3 of the length of the top rack so it’s perfect to leave space for long clothes like pants or dresses.
- Target or the container store has some great top shelf storage. I bought a 2 shelf shoe rack from target that I put on the top rack of my shelf and added a big box on top of that so I can utilize the tall closet space.
- I had a hanger to hold all my belts and purses on the very side of my closet, but now with sweater season I needed to maximize that rack space. I put small command hooks on the side wall of my closet and have staggered my belts on the wall.
- Thin cloth hangers are a must! I have transferred all of my hanging clothes to these kinds of hangers because they take up the least amount of space and they hold clothes way better than plastic.
- The container store has great stackable’s for jewelry. I have a three tier tower and the first one is meant specifically for stud earrings. The next one I use for bracelets or chunkier earrings. The third tier is used for some more of my everyday earrings and some rings I don’t wear as often.
- I found a cheap, tin hook wall decor at Hobby lobby. I was looking for any sort of wall arrow and planned on putting nails in it, but I came across this which already bad hooks so it worked out. I hang all of my necklaces on it because I can layer more than one without them getting tangled.
- I have a tree stand that originally I had used for my bracelets, but as I get more bracelets I started to run out of room. I ended up taking my bracelets off and I put all my hoops on it and spread my rings out on the bottom of it.
- I got a new display holder for my bracelets that is black (but comes in different colors), and is three tiered to hold all of them.
- I don’t have enough space in my bedroom for a full length jewelry stand, but at home it is the best. I like it because it has a full length mirror on it and holds so much of my jewelry, but I added more command hooks on the inside door so that it fits more of my necklaces.
For the Bathroom
I have a slight obsession with trying new makeup or products. I have more stuff than I know what to do with, but it’s okay if you can make the space for it right? I have definitely learned how to utilize bathroom space.
- Acrylic Makeup Holders are a life saver. I started with a basic topper and one layer under, but as I keep buying new makeup I had to buy more layers. This is why I love it though because you can just keep building on it. I get all of mine at the Container Store, but you can get them on Amazon too.
- I like to see my everyday products that I use, cause sometimes when they’re stuffed in a drawer I cannot find anything! I recently got this 360 organizer and I love it because its customizable heights and where you want things to be. It also hold little things on the top so I put some of my everyday earrings or little things up there.
- Rolling Carts are a must. I got mine at Target and I got little baskets from the Dollar Store that fit perfectly into the cart. I like to put the baskets in as little dividers that hold everything I need by categories (I tend to get OCD about this stuff). Without the basket my stuff will topple over and gets messy. But literally these carts hold so much and are a great way to organize and make more space.
- Under my sink I keep my bath towels and some extra products. I use these two storage containers to stack all those extra products and some emergency kit stuff. My bottom one holds all the bandaids, cotton pads, and stuff like that. But I love them because they stack perfectly on each other and they are clear so I can still what is in each one.
- I really love command hooks okay…I use the baby ones for everything! I put them on my bathroom wall to hold all my fun scrunchies or hair ties because if not I shove them in a drawer where I either forget about them or they take up too much room and force me to cram things in the drawer. I also used them on a blank wall next to me desk to hold my big hats because it looks so cute and you can’t even see the hook. It also allows the hats to keep their shape and not get ruined. If you still have an empty wall in your room or closet then they are great for holding long purses too.
ThinHangers, Hanging Rod, White Shoe Rack
Jewelry Stackable’s , Tree Stand, Bracelet Tier, Ring Holder, Jewelry Armoire Mirror
Storage Cart, Storage bins for Cart, Acrylic Makeup Storage, 360 Organizer,
Fall is the best outfit season because you can wear clothes from every season. I love wearing big sweaters with some shorts or dresses with a jean jacket over it. Another great look is throwing a big sweater over a dress when it gets cooler. Also if you haven’t heard Nasty Gal is having a major sale of 50% off their entire site! I got so many simple dresses and jeans from them all at half price. This weather also means it’s booty season! Honestly you can get away wearing booty’s all year, but they look even better with Fall outfits. It’s still pretty warm to be wearing over the knee boots so booty’s do the job to finish a cute look.
This look is one of my favorites. The navy dress is from Nasty Gal…only $6. You seriously cannot top that. Dress it up or down with a jean jacket or sweater. Also these booty’s are so comfortable from Nordstrom and go with just about anything! Even better this jean jacket is on sale for under $50! I’m a huge fan of jean jackets especially this one because the patches on it really spice up a look.
Shop this look here!
Oh my gosh you guys! St. Barths is probably one of the best islands I’ve ever been to. My mom and I did a girls trip here for her birthday, so just a quick weekend getaway. This place is beyond gorgeous and so much fun. Whether you go for 3 day trip or a week, I promise you will love every second of it. The island is good for families, couples, or girls trips! It is a little bit on the pricey side of traveling, but it is worth every cent (or euro). I went the first weekend of July so it was their low season, but it was still fairly busy so I can’t imagine what their peak season is like. Here’s just a few of my recommendations for things if you wanna go!
Processed with VSCO with c1 preset
PLACES TO STAY
- Pearl Beach Hotel This is where we stayed and I absolutely loved it! All of the staff is beyond friendly and welcoming. This boutique hotel used to be Tom Beach Hotel, but after the hurricane last year they redid the entire place and renovated everything. It is right on the beach, with free beach chairs included. There is a gorgeous open restaurant that is a part of the hotel with great food from breakfast to dinner. Any room you choose to stay in is no longer than a two minute walk from your door to the beach. They have a nice pool as well, but if you’re like me you will be at the beach instead. Also, right at the beach they offer snorkeling, to kite surfing, to surfing lessons.
- Eden Rock St. Barths I have heard amazing things about this place!! Due to the hurricane this place had a lot of damage, so they decided to completely renovate every part of it. Unfortunately, that meant it wasn’t open when I went, but it is scheduled to reopen December 2018. Next time I go, I would love to stay here. It has beaches on both sides of it and a beautiful restaurant right on the water. It is a very unique hotel and I have never heard anything bad about it. Another plus, it is conveniently located right next to the renown Nikki Beach.
- Hotel Christopher This place is perfect if you like to shop. It is located right in Gustavia which is where all the high end and boutique shops are found. Also, we found so many great restaurants in this town. This hotel looks super cute with a beautiful infinity pool and sadly, it wasn’t open when I went because of renovations from the hurricane. It is set to reopen around October of 2018 and I would love to try this place as well. Hotel Christopher has its own gorgeous restaurant and beach bar as well as a spa within the hotel if you enjoy relaxing that way.
Places to Eat
Okay, this might be my favorite part of the trip to talk about. If you know me, then you know I love food, specifically any food with truffle in it. I had truffle pasta or pizza at almost every meal. This island has some of the best food I have ever tasted. There are so many amazing places to eat, so I’ll just share with you some of my favorites and recommendations. You MUST MUST MUST make reservations ahead of time. Especially during peak season, you need to make reservations for any of these places for breakfast, lunch or dinner, way before you leave for your trip or you won’t get in. Nikki Beach is very popular on Sundays so I would make that reservations as far in advance as you can because you definitely want to experience it.
- Bagatelle – This is my favorite restaurant in the world! Our table was right on the water in the bay and it was gorgeous. On top of that, their menu was amazing. I had a truffle elbow pasta with ham and let me tell ya…THE BEST MEAL EVER! They also had lobster and a truffle pizza that was out of this world. It is a nice setting and again everyone there was very friendly.
- Nikki Beach- This place is a must. On Sundays especially, it is a total party. They have a super fun environment with a DJ playing his loud music, people dancing and the staff wears costumes to match different daily themes. When I went, it was a circus theme, so all of the staff was dressed up like members of a circus and having fun. Their food is also amazing. I highly recommend their sushi pizza. It sounds strange I know, but it’s not a normal pizza and it is super yummy.
- Bonito- If you want a place with views, then this is the place to go. It overlooks the entire bay and is especially gorgeous at dusk. Also, they have super fun and creative drinks. There is nothing normal about the drinks they serve. They come in mini bathtubs with rubber ducks to being served like the rose in Beauty in the Beast with smoke. Their food for sure is loved by the taste buds. I particularly liked the ceviche and truffle mashed potatoes. As you can tell by now I am a truffle aficionado.
- L’Isola- Italian all the way. I personally love me some good homemade Italian food and this place does just that. They have a great menu and good food. You can’t go wrong with Italian and this place met our expectations.
- Shellona- I wasn’t able to make it here in our short time, but I have heard great things about this place. It is right on Shell Beach which is a very popular destination to hang out and enjoy some sun.
- Bohemia- I loved this place! It is located right in the courtyard of Gustavia. Perfect for us because we could shop, then stop here to eat lunch and continue shopping. They had some great healthier options as well. Their avocado toast was amazing as was their zucchini pasta. The servers were very friendly and we enjoyed being outside in the heart of Gustavia.
THINGS TO DO
St. Bart’s is not a huge island so there are not a ton of activities, but it is super easy to make your own and have a great time.
- Rent a car! My mom and I by no means are good at directions. LOL. The island is small enough though, that with the help of a simple map we were able to get to every part of the island and had a blast. We rented a cute, red Mini Cooper and put the top down to explore.
- If you are there on a Sunday, you have to head to Nikki Beach. You can hang out at the restaurant or reserve a beach bed to bask in the sun. It’s a good way to have fun and just hang out on the beach.
- Shopping! Shopping! Shopping! Pack lightly on your trip over so you have plenty of room in you’re luggage for all the goodies you will find. They have great shopping from high end Prada and Cartier to smaller boutiques that have a more local flare. It’s all in the heart of Gustavia and most enjoyable walking around.
- St. Jean Beach is home of the Pearl Beach Hotel and the beach is something out of a travel magazine. The coolest part of it though is that the planes fly right in front of you as the airport is directly behind this beach. There are also people on this beach who offer water sport rentals and lessons, if that’s your fancy.
If you are down for some hiking this place offers a gorgeous hike, with an even better reward at the end. We did’t get to hike it, but everyone told us how amazing it is. You hike to the natural pools there and they are known as a “Washing Machine,” because the water is always turning. You can drive near the town of Columbier and hike over from there. We drove that way on our adventure and it is truly a picturesque drive. These pictures below were taken from the top of the mountain. The views were some of the finest on the island.
This was one of my favorite trips and a big reason why was because I got to spend it with my mom for her birthday. We had an unforgettable time and I hope to go back soon. If you ever have the opportunity to visit St. Barths, I would highly recommend it. Not many airlines fly to the island, but I would strongly encourage flying Tradewinds! I cannot begin to explain how amazing their service was on the roundtrip. On the flight home, my mom and I were lucky enough to have the plane to ourselves. The pilots and airline staff were all first class and the most accommodating that we have ever encountered.
I decided to give my hair a nice, healthy break this trip. I left all my heat tools at home and went a more natural route. It was way easier than I expected it to be too! Braids and buns were my go to, with a scarf tied into it. I am obsessing over scarves in my hair right now and it just adds a pop of color to any outfit, which I love. If you’re lost for inspiration, check out Pinterest. I was always scrolling through it looking for fun, new ways to wear my hair. There were lots of failed attempts at some braids, but I was able to find some easy to do styles as well.
During the day I preferred having my hair braided or pulled back, since I was in and out of the water or venturing around. This scarf is on sale for $8 and it’s not too big, making it perfect to tie at the end of braids! If you don’t like braids as much, it’s still perfect to tie up a pony as well! The dutch braid is my favorite because it is very easy to do, and also is a big braid, which I prefer. If you have thinner hair, remember to always pull out the braid a little so that it makes the braid look thicker. Another super easy look to do is a half up bun. I like to add a scarf around my bun because it helps keep the bun perky on the top of my head and also adds a nice touch to a simple outfit. For this look you can even french braid your hair back and then tie it into a bun once you reach the back of your head.
For dinner I usually tried to do something cute, but with my hair down. This look was actually so easy to do and only took three minutes, if that. Just twist back a small chunk of hair on each side and tie them in the middle. Do that again and then take both small pony tails and braid down. The key to keeping my hair somewhat straight with no heat was using tons of conditioner and brushing it while it air dried. My hair is also naturally on the straighter side which helps.
Shop my favorite scarves here! Just click on the picture to shop