The majority of you have probably never heard of Culebra, but it is a small island right off the coast of Puerto Rico. You may have heard of Flamenco Beach though and that is located on this island. Culebra is home to some of the prettiest views I have ever seen. I really enjoy traveling here because it is very calm and not overwhelmed with tourists. After Hurricane Maria, the people who live here did an amazing job cleaning up the aftermath and restoring Culebra back to its original beauty.
Processed with VSCO with g3 preset
In order to get to Culebra you must take a boat or a tiny plane (I prefer a plane since I get seasick). Plus, a plane ride allows you to see the beauty of both islands from the air. Once you are there, everyone gets around on Golf Carts or jeeps, but the golf carts are much more fun to me. We always rent our golfcart from Jerry’s Jeep Rental. Since Culebra is so small is is super easy to navigate around the island. There are so many beaches on all sides of Culebra, but Flamenco Beach is foresure the most popular.
That said, my personal favorite beach is Zoni Beach because it is more hidden than the others and takes a little longer to get so.There are typically very few people at Zoni and I feel like it is my own private beach. If you want to snorkel and see some marine life, then Melones and Tamarindo Beach are great for that. They are a little rocky so definitely bring swim shoes and a snorkel.
My family and I love to take a boat out about 20 minutes to the island of Culebrita. The views there are absolutely breathtaking. On Culebrita you can take a 15-20 minute light hike up to the top and see an old lighthouse. There are some goats and deer on the island that we will usually see on our hikes. On one end of the island there are also tide pools that are so much fun to swim in. The water is a gorgeous blue with burnt orange rocks around it. You must know the walk to get to the tide pools is rough and rocky so make sure to wear shoes of some sort, but it is well worth it. Tons of boats will gather on Culebrita on most weekends. The boaters will play in the water, snorkel around, and grill out for the day, every-time we have done this we have a blast. There is also a dive shop on the island of Culebra that has taken my brother out numerous times for those who want a little more than snorkeling.
Food & Drink Recommendations
Let me just start by saying everything on the island is very casual, sundresses or jean shorts are the way to go. Also most all of the restaurants are outside so it usually wise to bring bug spray especially during Summer.
- El Eden: By far my favorite restaurant! The food is so unique and tasty. This is a place I highly recommend making reservations for because they are always busy. They have so many great things on the menu, but I would advise you to get the Zucchini pasta or Lobster Risotto, they are so good.
- Dinghy Docks: This is a great spot to grab a drink and appetizer right on the water. There are tons of Tarpin in the water right off the dock so that’s always fun to see. We like to stop here and snack on some taquitos after a day at the beach before we head back to get ready for dinner.
- Mamacitas: Another place on the water so it’s a fun place to go eat for a casual dinner. Their fish fingers are yummy! You can also stay right above in their guesthouse if you want to.
- Susies: Here they have a great outdoor ambiance and it is one of the nicer restaurants on the island. Their steak and lobster is always served to perfection. They are a seasonal restaurant so definitely check to see if they’re open for your trip.
- Vibra Verde: The absolute BEST place for breakfast or brunch! Every time we travel to Culebra I make sure to stop here. On this last trip I actually met the couple who owns this place and they were very down to earth. They have great açaí bowls, smoothies, eggs, and bagels.
Where To Stay
- Club Seaborne: Our family of 14 just stayed here and had a good time. We each had rooms right next to each other and it is small enough to all feel close, but still have personal space. They serve breakfast and have a bar so it worked out for everyone.
- Villas: Personally I enjoy renting a house or villa and staying there because there are many unique properties right on the water or hills with gorgeous views. However it is very hard to find a place that holds a lot of people so this is a better option for smaller groups.
Apartment living has me struggling. I love my apartment and my roommates, but the closet I live with is so small! It’s a sliding door with one rack and one shelf…tough life for a fashionista. It took a whole month and a lot of brainstorming to figure out just how to fit all my clothes and shoes in there. My space is very limited, but I made it work. Here’s some tips and tricks on how to make the most of space in a small room…
For a closet
- I bought an extra hanging bar that hooks on to the main rack and gives you an extra row of of hanging clothes. It only takes up about 2/3 of the length of the top rack so it’s perfect to leave space for long clothes like pants or dresses.
- Target or the container store has some great top shelf storage. I bought a 2 shelf shoe rack from target that I put on the top rack of my shelf and added a big box on top of that so I can utilize the tall closet space.
- I had a hanger to hold all my belts and purses on the very side of my closet, but now with sweater season I needed to maximize that rack space. I put small command hooks on the side wall of my closet and have staggered my belts on the wall.
- Thin cloth hangers are a must! I have transferred all of my hanging clothes to these kinds of hangers because they take up the least amount of space and they hold clothes way better than plastic.
- The container store has great stackable’s for jewelry. I have a three tier tower and the first one is meant specifically for stud earrings. The next one I use for bracelets or chunkier earrings. The third tier is used for some more of my everyday earrings and some rings I don’t wear as often.
- I found a cheap, tin hook wall decor at Hobby lobby. I was looking for any sort of wall arrow and planned on putting nails in it, but I came across this which already bad hooks so it worked out. I hang all of my necklaces on it because I can layer more than one without them getting tangled.
- I have a tree stand that originally I had used for my bracelets, but as I get more bracelets I started to run out of room. I ended up taking my bracelets off and I put all my hoops on it and spread my rings out on the bottom of it.
- I got a new display holder for my bracelets that is black (but comes in different colors), and is three tiered to hold all of them.
- I don’t have enough space in my bedroom for a full length jewelry stand, but at home it is the best. I like it because it has a full length mirror on it and holds so much of my jewelry, but I added more command hooks on the inside door so that it fits more of my necklaces.
For the Bathroom
I have a slight obsession with trying new makeup or products. I have more stuff than I know what to do with, but it’s okay if you can make the space for it right? I have definitely learned how to utilize bathroom space.
- Acrylic Makeup Holders are a life saver. I started with a basic topper and one layer under, but as I keep buying new makeup I had to buy more layers. This is why I love it though because you can just keep building on it. I get all of mine at the Container Store, but you can get them on Amazon too.
- I like to see my everyday products that I use, cause sometimes when they’re stuffed in a drawer I cannot find anything! I recently got this 360 organizer and I love it because its customizable heights and where you want things to be. It also hold little things on the top so I put some of my everyday earrings or little things up there.
- Rolling Carts are a must. I got mine at Target and I got little baskets from the Dollar Store that fit perfectly into the cart. I like to put the baskets in as little dividers that hold everything I need by categories (I tend to get OCD about this stuff). Without the basket my stuff will topple over and gets messy. But literally these carts hold so much and are a great way to organize and make more space.
- Under my sink I keep my bath towels and some extra products. I use these two storage containers to stack all those extra products and some emergency kit stuff. My bottom one holds all the bandaids, cotton pads, and stuff like that. But I love them because they stack perfectly on each other and they are clear so I can still what is in each one.
- I really love command hooks okay…I use the baby ones for everything! I put them on my bathroom wall to hold all my fun scrunchies or hair ties because if not I shove them in a drawer where I either forget about them or they take up too much room and force me to cram things in the drawer. I also used them on a blank wall next to me desk to hold my big hats because it looks so cute and you can’t even see the hook. It also allows the hats to keep their shape and not get ruined. If you still have an empty wall in your room or closet then they are great for holding long purses too.
ThinHangers, Hanging Rod, White Shoe Rack
Jewelry Stackable’s , Tree Stand, Bracelet Tier, Ring Holder, Jewelry Armoire Mirror
Storage Cart, Storage bins for Cart, Acrylic Makeup Storage, 360 Organizer,